Depression is a mental illness disorder that can seriously impair your life. It affects virtually every aspect of your being. Depression influences how you act as well as your thoughts and feelings. Its influence on these areas is predominantly negative. It is necessary that we look for signs of depression within ourselves and in the members of the society. About 7.1% of American adults experience a major depressive episode at least once in a year. These are just the known cases. It could be more as some people do not open up about their illness. Atlanta Center for Mental Health is here to provide you with a residential mental health treatment program if you are suffering from depression. We also have other outpatient treatment programs and therapy designed to help you.
Types of Depression
Depression manifests itself in a variety of forms. The form of depression you experience is a result of a chemical change that occurs in your brain. Additionally, the event that triggers the depressive state will also determine the type of depression a person suffers from. Some of the forms of depression are:
Commonly known as a major depressive disorder. This type of depression makes you lose interest in your pleasures. It can also distort your concentration ability and at times make you feel suicidal.
Persistent Depressive Disorder
As its name suggests, this form of depression lasts for a longer time. If you have been depressed for two years or more, then you could be suffering from this type of depression. It makes a person develop low-self-esteem and hopelessness.
Seasonal Affective Disorder
This is a type of depression that is common during the wintertime. Winter has shorter days and longer nights. It limits the amount of sunlight available to the people. Because of these conditions, some people tend to fall into a depressive state. The good thing is that the depression normally goes away at the onset of spring.
This depression has psychotic symptoms along with the symptoms of major depression. It makes a person hallucinate frequently. It can also cause delusions and severe paranoia.
This depression is a specifier for describing patterns of depressive symptoms. It is different than the typical depression which causes persistent sadness. It may increase the patient’s appetite and sleeping hours. At times, it may make the patient sensitive to criticism. The good thing is that a positive event in the patient’s life can temporarily halt the depression.
Signs of Depression
Even though the signs of depression vary depending on the type in consideration, some symptoms are common across them all. Here are some of the common symptoms:
- A person feels hopeless and helpless all the time. Their outlook on life is always pessimistic.
- A person loses interest in common daily activities. Even the activities that were once hobbies do not elicit any excitement in depression victims.
- The sleep pattern of the person changes abruptly. They either sleep excessively or develop insomnia.
- Victims engage in reckless behavior. They may turn to escapist behaviors such as substance use.
- The victim loses weight rapidly due to appetite loss.
Treatment Programs for Depression at Atlanta Center for Mental Health
Several programs are available to help you treat your depression at our center. If you experience any signs of depression, our mental health treatment center programs can assist you:
- Medication management: This treatment will help to identify the kind of depression you are suffering from. It enables the specialist to offer the right treatment for you.
- Mental health residential: This approach seeks to find out the underlying causes of depression through intensive mental health therapies.
- Focus on wellness: This helps to treat the side effects of depression such as insomnia and appetite loss.
- Crisis intervention: This plan is for helping patients in a serious crisis. These are the patients whose normal life has stopped because of depression.
Join Our Treatment Facility Today
Don’t let depression overwhelm you. Atlanta Center for Mental Health can help you overcome it. If you notice any signs of depression in yourself, contact us at 833.625.0458. We will deal with the depression at its nascent stage.